Monday, October 22, 2012

Molly.....

This is Molly at 6 months.....

I was single, living in a 1 bedroom apartment (with cats) and living a life full of no responsibility. I got a call that a 6 month old Mastiff puppy needed a home. Molly was found with her owner, who had passed away. They were together for three days before anyone found them. I was the very first person she had contact with outside of her circle of trust. I didn't want a dog. At all. They need to be walked, played with, trained.....They aren't cats. I love cats. Cats don't wake you up at 6:30am



When Molly arrive at the shelter, she was handed off to me. I tried to hand her off to the medical/kennel staff and she tried to bite them. Not cool. Not cool at all. So, Suaz, my wonderful co-worker, helped me transport this dog and all of her stuff to my apartment - just so she could calm down, relax and go back to the shelter. Molly may look small in the 1st photo but she's a 60lb "puppy" with one heck of a snap. Molly was aggressive towards Suaz and this scared me.....I didn't want to be attacked by a dog, along in my apartment....when would I be found?!?! but after a talk and vote of confidence from Suaz and one of the amazing medical staff members, I felt I was good to be left alone with this beast.

Our first night was hard. I lived in fear of this dog - almost half my weigh. I wasn't looking for a dog bite. I wasn't looking for a dog. She had not had anything in 3 days. She had not used the bathroom in 3 days - she was not in a good place.

Molly is a monster. She's headstrong, overly smart and full of so much love!!

This cute little face changed my life. We walked 6 times a day (about 3 miles each walk). We had two feedings a day and she ate all my remote controls, phones, shoes and anything else she could get her teeth on. However, I love her. I was told that she may be best off if "put down" - no way! Over the last few years (almost two) we have done 100% positive reinforcement with Molly. Everyone she's meeting is a positive experience. Once she meets you - she loves you. It's those first few moments that may cause you to mess your pants.

 1st Christmas
 
1st Easter

I truly love this dog. She pushed me to buy my first house. She pushed me to realize that there are many more things important than drinking or spending all night out. She made me realize that love truly is unconditional. I didnt care how many hours we spent learning lessons as long as we were learning something (not trying to bite people....)

She's been a bad girl. She still has a very long way to go till she could be the perfect dog.....but you know what, she's my perect dog. She acts how I can't. 9 out of 10 times.....she trys to bite people I wish I could bite.

Right now Molly lives with my parents. It seems like she does best with other dogs. They give her a lot of confidence. I miss Molly - I miss her face. Right now, she is where she belongs. I travel for work and she was kicked out of doggie daycare for trying to bite the staff (embarasing!). My parents do an amazing job with her. They are able to expose her to people (with her dog friends to help support), my Mom is home all day to keep her busy and they just love her. I'm still her person and it breaks my heart and hers when I leave but right now, she needs my parnets.

 
First week as "my dog"

 
In the new house - about a year old


 
One of the very first times out of the crate all day

 
Molly and her best friend, LeAnne



No comments:

Post a Comment